Investigations into deaths due to the use of frog skin secretions

Investigations into deaths due to the use of frog skin secretions
Investigations into deaths due to the use of frog skin secretions

Over the past two weeks, a small court located in a remote area of ​​eastern Australia has heard exciting and unusual evidence about the sudden deaths of two local residents.
Natasha Lechner died of a suspicious heart condition, while the authorities believe that the young Jarad Antonovich died after suffering from severe vomiting.
The two incidents occurred shortly after they used poisonous frog mucus known as kampu during an ancient Amazonian ritual.

The two incidents took place in northern New South Wales – an area famous for its lush rainforests and stunning beaches, but also for its alternative medicine.

The coroner is now investigating what went wrong and whether anything could have been done to prevent another tragedy.

What is a campo celebration?
Kampo, also known as sapo, is a waxy substance extracted by scraping the skin of a live giant monkey frog.

The frog, which is widespread throughout the Amazon, secretes the substance as a defense mechanism, to warn off animals trying to devour or kill it.

But in the Kampo ceremony, humans use it in what is called an intense detoxification process.

After the participants drink more than a liter of water, small cuts are made on their skin and skin, and the substance is applied to those open wounds.

This causes high blood pressure, a rapid heartbeat, and “purging the body” by vomiting or passing out, often both.

Symptoms vary in severity, and usually last up to half an hour.

The kampu has been used by the indigenous people of South America for centuries, believing it to ward off bad luck and improve their hunting skills.

At the present time, it is a shamanic ritual, and its supporters assert that it rids the body of toxins, makes the mind clearer, and treats various diseases, but there is no scientific evidence to prove its supposed health benefits, and it has been banned by health authorities in Australia.

Campo has been reported to have caused deaths, strokes, kidney failure and heart attacks.