Heavy rain caused the cancellation of the Emilia-Romagna Formula 1 race, which was scheduled for next Sunday, as part of the world championship competitions.
Sharjah 24 – Asaad Khalil:
The Formula 1 administration announced, on Wednesday, the cancellation of the Emilia-Romagna race, which was scheduled for Sunday, in the Formula 1 World Championship, in light of the heavy rains and flooding of its waters, which led to the inability to hold the race safely.
Heavy rains continued for days in the area where the race was scheduled to be held in Imola, and the track was evacuated yesterday, Tuesday, in light of fears of flooding rainwater.
At least five people were killed and a number of missing persons were registered, according to the Italian Minister of Civil Defense, Nello Musumesi, on Wednesday.
The Formula 1 administration stated: “The decision was taken because it is not possible to hold the competition safely for our fans, teams and all our employees, and this is the correct and responsible procedure in light of the situation in the cities in this region.”
She added: “It would not be right to put more pressure on the local authorities and emergency services at this difficult time.”
Formula management said it had decided to cancel the race after discussions with the FIA, race promoters as well as Italian ministers and regional authorities including the mayor of Imola.
Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali said: “The decision that has been taken is the right one for everyone in the local communities and in the Formula 1 family, as we need to ensure safety and not create an additional burden on the authorities as they deal with this absolutely appalling situation.”
He added: “It is tragic what we see happening in Imola and Emilia-Romagna, the city and region where we grew up. My sympathy and prayers go out to the flood victims and to the affected families and communities.”
For his part, FIA President Mohamed bin Sulayem said: “Our hearts go out to each and every family affected by the appalling situation in the Emilia-Romagna region. We wish everyone’s safety and recovery efforts are a top priority at the moment.”
The Italian Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Infrastructure and Transport Matteo Salvini, had called earlier today for the cancellation of the race due to the need for the efforts of all authorities at the present time, and the need to avoid the influx of a large number of visitors and cars.
The evacuation of the track yesterday, Tuesday, had already led to the postponement of preparations for the race, noting that the first and second experiments were supposed to be held the day after tomorrow, Friday.