A dramatic video of an electric scooter exploding and catching fire has been uploaded to social media in London to highlight the dangers of charging electric vehicles indoors.
The scooter explodes and catches fire Photo: London Fire Brigade
London Fire Brigade (LFB) has released video of the moment the electric scooter explodes and catches fire while charging at a home in the north-west London neighborhood of Brent on Saturday. In the video you see how the room fills with smoke and flames within seconds. Fortunately, none of the tenants who live in the building, including the owner of the scooter himself, were in the kitchen where the fire broke out.
More from the front of the news
“I just want to thank God that we managed to get out in one piece. I’m grateful to be alive. I was in the hospital for eight hours due to smoke inhalation. When I got home, I was in shock. I’m still in shock. I’m thankful that no one was hurt, I cheated death,” he told “Sky News”. “Don’t bring electric scooters into the house. Charge them outside.”
Deputy Firefighter Dom Ellis said these types of fires are becoming more common. “In the video you can see that as soon as the battery heated up, the fire broke out within seconds. During the thermal escape, various gases are emitted. It is recommended for users of electric scooters and electric bicycles to allow the battery to cool down before charging, and to buy chargers and batteries from reliable sources.”
London Fire Brigade has dealt with 48 e-bike fires and 12 electric scooter fires in the capital so far this year. These vehicles are prohibited for use on pavements or roads in the UK, but they have become very common especially in urban areas.
Flashes from the front of the news